About the Faculty


Brief History of Pharmacy Education in Thailand

The origin of pharmacy education in Thailand can be dated back to 1914 during the reign of King Rama VI. With the initiative of two of the celestial sons of King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V), Field Marshal Prince Chakrabongse Bhuvanath (Prince of Phitsanulok) and His Royal Highness Prince Rangsit Prayurasakdi (Prince of Chainat) who keenly perceived the countrys lack of pharmacy educational system, proposed to establish pharmacy education in Thailand.

Such initiative was initially led to the establishment of a pharmacy division under the Royal Medical Schools administration. The curriculum at that time was 3 years in length with a certification issued for successful graduates. The first class consisted of only 4 students. From this humble beginning, pharmacy education continued to evolve with the advancementof Thailands healthcare education. From 1914 1942, however, pharmacy was only a part of the Faculty of Medicine under the administration of the Royal Medical School, which was later named Chularongkorn University.

Prince of Phitsanulok
 
Prince of Chainat
Prince Chakrabongse Bhuvanath
 
Prince Rangsit Prayurasakdi

History of the Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University


University of Medical Sciences era (1943 1968)
In 1943, there was an initiative to formally establish a university with the focus on producing healthcare personnel to meet increasing demand of the nation. This led to the birth of the University of Medical Sciences which was formally established in 1943. Once a part of Chulalongkorn University, Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Veterinary and the first independent Faculty of Pharmacy was the 4 core faculties that formed the University of Medical Sciences. From 1943 1957, the curriculum was 4 years in length and was later changed to a 5-year curriculum since 1958. Successful graduates were given a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree.



 Mahidol University era (1968 present)
With increasing demand for pharmacists in the country, the Royal Thai Government issued a plan to expand the class size of the Faculty of Pharmacy. However, with space limitation of the existing Faculty at Pathumwan area, a new facility of the Faculty of Pharmacy was needed. At that time, there was an initiative to move the Faculty of Science of the University of Medical Science from Sri-ayudthaya Road to a new location on Rama VI road. The existing facilities of the Faculty of Science on Sri-ayudthaya road was then refurbished to form a new facility and to be used by Faculty of Pharmacy in 1968. Formally established on 7 June 1968, the new facility was initially named Faculty of Pharmacy at Phyathai Campus under the administration of the University of Medical Sciences. In 1969, however, the University was renamed with great honor by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej after his own father, His Royal Highness Prince Mahidol of Songkla.

Several changes and rearrangement was also made during this transition period. One of the changes was the separation of the two faculties of pharmacy under the University of Medical Sciences. The Faculty of Pharmacy located at Pathumwan area became a part of Chulalongkorn University while the Faculty of Pharmacy at Phyathai Campus became a part of the newly named Mahidol University. Hence, the official name of this faculty has been the Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University since then.

At the beginning, there were only a total of 12 faculty members who were the founders and pioneers of the Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University.


Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University

Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University

Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University
The first 12 Pioneering faculty members

The first 12 pioneering faculty members are;

1.  Prof. Dr. Pradit Hutangkura
2.  Prof. Dr. Chanai Sumpantharak
3.  Prof. Chawee Bunnag
4.  Prof. Sukon Poonpat
5.  Prof. Chalao Limpinun
6.  Assoc.Prof. Umpai Ungkapintu
7.  Assoc.Prof. Sawat Kulma
8.  Assoc.Prof. La-iead Thipthabiankarn
9.  Assoc.Prof. Payao Muengwongyard
10. Assoc.Prof. Boonjing Kasemsuwan
11. Assoc.Prof. Sermsiri Winijchaikul
12. Assoc.Prof. Linji Wangweera

Initially, Prof. Dr. Chatchawan Osathanon, the newly appointed Rector of Mahidol University, served as the interim Dean for the faculty from 1968 - 1970. Subsequently, Prof. Dr. Pradit Hutangkura, an honorable pharmacist and staff of the Department of Manufacturing Pharmacy, was appointed as the interim Dean during 1970 1971 and finally the official Dean of the faculty in 1972. During his service time from 1972- 1983, the faculty enjoyed the exponential growth both in terms of number of faculty members/students and also reputation as the pride of pharmacy education and service in the nation. The contribution and selfless sacrifice of Prof. Dr. Pradit Hutangkura along with other pioneering faculty members laid a strong foundation for what was then a newly established faculty of pharmacy, and now a prestigious faculty of pharmacy in the nation.



The Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University at present time


At present time, the Faculty offers pharmacy education at every level ranging from undergraduate to graduate (both Master and Doctoral levels) degrees in almost every aspects of pharmacy profession. For undergraduate study, a 5-year curriculum is currently offered. However, we are in a transitional phase from a 5-year curriculum to a 6-year curriculum to meet the changing need of pharmacy profession. For graduate study, we offer a wide range of Master and Doctoral degrees encompassing almost every stages of the entire drug development process.


Rajaratana building - Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University.
Facilities


The current facility of the faculty consists of 3 buildings. Thepparat Building (construction completed in February 1991) and Ratcharat Building (construction completed in June 2000) are the two main buildings of the faculty. In 1991, Princess Sirindhorn presided in a ceremony to officially open Thepparat building for use. The building was also named after the Princesss name. Thepparat Building, a 7th floor building, houses a 300-seat auditorium, two 150-seat lecture rooms, small lecture rooms, 7 large laboratory rooms, the Faculty Drug Store, part of central research laboratory and offices for administration and other supporting units. Ratcharat Building, an 8th floor building, houses a cafeteria (1st floor), library (2nd floor), medicinal plant information center (3rd floor), drug information center (3rd floor), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) laboratory unit (3rd floor), central computer center (7th floor) and part of central research laboratory. In addition, there are two 150-seat lecture rooms (2nd floor), small and medium-size lecture rooms, departmental offices, graduate student offices and laboratories for graduate and undergraduate studies. The third 5-floor building in the back of Ratcharat building houses the Faculty Pilot Plant for Drug Production and several research labs.


MUPY Facilities

Department/Center


Human Resources


There are approximately 80 faculty members working in our institution. Approximately two thirds of our staff are with doctoral degree while about one third are with masters degree. In addition to faculty members, we also have qualified research technicians, research assistants, other supporting personnel that play important parts in the achievement of our goals and missions of excellence in education and research.

Overall, the faculty has graduated more than 3,000 pharmacists and hundreds of graduate students. Our graduates at every level have significantly contributed to the advancement of the nations healthcare system both at the public and private sectors. In addition, a number of our graduates have become faculty members of newer pharmacy schools around the nation. This clearly reflects the leading role of our faculty for the development and advancement of pharmacy education in Thailand.

Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University
 
Home   Search   Contact   Sitemap
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


MUPY Publications RSS 2.0

MUPY Presentation RSS 2.0

MUPY News RSS 2.0
Google
 

Locations of visitors to this page



Copyright © 2009 www.pharmacy.mahidol.ac.th
This site was developed & designed by Mr.Soraj Tasanacharoen
Computer Center, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University