[ Mahidol University. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences - ONLINE ]
[ By Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University. THAILAND]
Mahidol University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
 
 
Abstracted/Indexed in SciFinder since 1974 (former name  "Warasan Phesatchasat")
About Our Journal

The Mahidol University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences is committed to the timely publication of innovative papers and reviews. Manuscripts submitted for publication in this journal must not have been previously published and are not under consideration for publication in any other media. All manuscripts accepted for publication are peer-reviewed... read more

 

Risk factors Related to Rhabdomyolysis in Thai Statin Users: A Case-control Study

 
 
P. Supsongserm, P. Boonmuang, S. Nathisuwan, N. Chaiyakunapruk, K.Tanyasaensook*

Previous studies on statin have revealed that increasing age, renal insufficiency, and concomitant medications were associated with rhabdomyolysis. However, there is a lack of analysis on the magnitude of such association in the Asia-Pacific region. The objectives of this study were to identify risk factors of statin-associated rhabdomyolysis in Thai patients and to evaluate the magnitude of association between the risk factors and rhabdomyolysis. The case control study was carried out at five tertiary-care hospitals in Thailand and patients’ data of 2005-2008 were collected. Data of cases with rhabdomyolysis were extracted from patient’s profiles. For each case, the researchers randomly selected ten controls for making a comparison. Data extracted included demographics, type of statins, dosage, duration, and concomitant medications. No matching of controls to cases was performed in this study and the data collectors were not blinded. Of the 220 patients, the three most commonly used were simvastatin (80.0%), atorvastatin (15.0%), and rosuvastatin (5.0%). A univariable analysis indicated that the most powerful risk factor for rhabdomyolysis was renal disease, odds ratio (OR, 24.00; 95% CI, 6.68-85.49). The number of concomitant medications was also associated with significant increased risk of rhabdomyolysis, OR 3.85 (95% CI, 1.40-10.61) and 13.23 (95% CI, 1.54-113.62) for one and two concomitant medications, respectively. In multivariable analysis, the only significant association found was between renal disease and rhabdomyolysis with a Coefficient 3.46 (95% CI, 2.21-4.71). This study reiterates that renal disease plays a key role in precipitating statin-associated rhabdomyolysis. Impaired renal function could lower elimination of statins and concomitant drugs, resulting in drug interactions and rhabdomyolysis.

Download full paper (PDF File size: 1,408.24 KB.)
 
 
 
Username
Password
Login As
- Sign up (Register)
- Forgot password (renew a password)
- Enter Activation Code (for new user only)
- Reget Activation Code (if you didn't get activation code)

Want to study in our Faculty?

Our graduate programmes have established international academic cooperation with the renowned universities in the United States of America, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan and Australia. All graduate programmes offer career routes into public sectors, industry and academia and are suitable for both pharmacists and scientists who are interested to do a research in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.

At present, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University offers four Master’s degree programmes and five Doctoral degree programmes

MUPY cordially welcomed the delegates from Department of Botany, Hanoi University of Pharmacy, Vietnam
MUPY cordially welcomed Dra. Retnosari Andrajati, Ph.D., Apt., from University of Indonesia, Indonesia as a visiting scholar
MUPY student received full scholarship award in 2015 International Summer Session (ISS) program
MUPY welcomed exchange students from Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia
MUPY cordially welcomed Assoc. Prof. Dr. Seung Joon Baek, University of Tennessee, USA




MUJPHARM-Home
Editorial Board
Instruction to Author
Sign Up
Submission
Back Issues
Contact us
   
Faculty of Pharmacy Mahidol University
Mahidol University
Member's menu

You're now loging on with following account:
Guest (unknown)

Please Sign in or Register



    Copyright © 2009-2010
    Faculty of pharmacy, Mahidol University, THAILAND
  Page Ranking Tool website monitoring service